Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Do you know how much I've missed fall? I haven't had that 'leaves changing, weather cooling, time to pull out the chunkiest, comfiest sweaters you can find' feeling in three years. Chris came home last night and said 'This is grilling weather babe! Where you put on a beanie and grab some beers and grill.' I guess spending the last three years in the world's finest city wasn't the WORST thing that could happen but in all the many times since we've been here that I've craved the beach and the ocean breeze, I feel an equally strong pull towards fall and winter, ready to show my southern California girl an east coast winter.

Today is one of those beautiful beginning of fall days. I can see the leaves from our big beautiful trees blowing in the cool breeze and I can only imagine the beauty when they start changing colors. I've turned the air conditioning off, opened my downstairs windows and started planning my first 'bake' of the fall season, my 'eating-for-two' self craving all things pumpkin! All this change has me thinking of the oh-so many bright sides to this military life despite what my exhausted and husband-craving brain is telling me. Would I appreciate the cooler weather, the changing leaves, the bitter cold of winter as much without spending the last few years away from it all? I don't think so. But with this fall comes the dreadful workup to a deployment and we're just now beginning it all. You can pretty much count on a seven month deployment turning into at least 10 months with all the build-up and weeks away from home preparing. I think I'm a pretty independent gal. I for the most part can do pretty much everything in the house by myself, have accepted that fact that taking out the trash will always be MY job around here, spend countless days parenting alone

and really don't need the constant company of my husband to make for a relaxing evening (think manicure, chic-flick and a bowl of cereal for dinner type nights). I can get by only the thoughts of our love and the faith that he'd be here in a heartbeat if he could. The hubby always says that 'to need' something is a very strong statement and quite honestly, I don't 'need' much. I'm a firm believer that I am capable of doing just about anything I set my mind to. But some days are long...some days bring nothing but anxiety of the upcoming months and what the new year will bring.


Maybe it's this stubborn cold talking, me in a way wishing for the cushy 'I live 15 minutes from my mom who can take the kids while my pregnant self sleeps off this sickness' type of life...so for today I'm okay going to a little place in my head that is peaceful and harmonious. The place where deployments and all the endless training that comes with it does not exist. Where I don't think about where Chris will be when I bring this new little life into the world and instead focus on the fact that he will be IN THE GOOD OL' USA this time around (psh what's 3 hours of labor alone waiting for my hubby to come from training) and I just might have my wonderful family here to welcome the newest baby Tinoco home. Because with every negative, I can think of a positive that blows my pity party out of the water. I've made wonderful friends here, friends who'll take care of my girls and I when things get a little less than ideal. Isn't that all you really need in life? And let me tell you...Marine Wives make the best friends, hands down.


Yes...right now, I'm okay in my little bubble thinking about fall and all that I've missed these last three years. I'll count my blessings as I drink my oh-so heart-warming English Breakfast tea, taking me to a nostalgic place and reminding me of the beautifully independent women in my family who have set such a wonderful example for me and would be here in a heartbeat to share in my tiny tea party.


And I just have to share! Apparently Huntsville is the place to be if you love consignment sales. Being a mom of a now two and a half year old, I truly believe in the power of baby consigning. Yes, yes, Chris and I did the whole, 'no, our baby deserves all brand new things, top of the line everything, gear, clothes, toys...you name it, it'll be brand new and expensive!' we've said. But seeing how our lovely Sophia has so quickly grown out of the toys and clothes and gear that we've spent thousands on...well, take me to a consignment shop and I'm in heaven! Thanks to my many mama friends in the area I've been kept up to date on all the hottest places to go around town and I have picked up truly astounding amounts of winter outfits for a steal! I even found a complete ballet outfit for Sophia,

a brand new boppy bouncer for an additional 50% off it's already ridiculously low price, a pair of prego pants for Mama and two itzy bitzy pairs of the most adorable shoes for the new little love when she starts walking. You do need a tad bit of patience to dig around for the good stuff but I'm telling you, at the rate newborns grow out of their clothes, you can find some almost brand new outfits for a fraction of the price they sell for in stores. I'm thrilled. I've heard rumors of another consignment warehouse sale coming up in October and I am ready. I may move slowly but I've got determination...and an excuse in case I have to fight anyone for a great find! ;)


So, exactly seven weeks until my due date. For right now I'm enjoying the simple things in life. Things like enjoying a crisp fall breeze on a beautiful morning while sipping my decaf tea, a great new friend's company and the fact that for now, Chris comes home to us every night. Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment