Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Summer? Is that you?

Is it summer yet? Yes, yes...I do believe that we're coasting into the last season of this stinkin' deployment! The season where I believe is best spent outside by whatever body of water you can find (It's okay to imagine that your backyard kiddie pool is really your in-ground pool of your oceanfront home in Southern California...), with ice-cold fresh watermelon always at the forefront of every meal (Watermelon as an appetizer!? Heck yeah!) and lots of lovely, lovely snuggles from sunkissed beauties who are never short on smiles for this tired Mama. Ohhhh yes...summer in Huntsville is clearly on it's way, coming in with a bang no thanks to a few major storms and some significantly more humid weather. In my house these days, there's a lot of doin' what most military families do when they're two and a half months away from the end of a deployment...lots of waiting and lots of praying. And while we wait, Miss Alessandra has not only found a new love for carrots and sweet potatoes but she's ALSO found her voice which only means Sophia has also found her extremely LOUD voice. I sigh but I think to myself how it doesn't bother me in the slightest, this almost secret, louder than normal, language that the little girls have developed. It has warmed my tired heart seeing the bond that is forming between the sisters as I patiently wait until our Marine is lucky enough to return home. This past spring (or what Huntsville likes to think is a Spring) has brought with it lots of change...lots of good change. Alessandra is officially half of a year old coming right up on the age Miss Sophia was when her Daddy came home to meet her from his first deployment. I'm having fun watching my girls these days especially when I start to see Sophia in Alessandra's expressions and get a kick out of comparing the two when Alessandra plays dress-up in Sophia's old baby clothes. They're so different yet so perfectly similar. I tell you, it's really nice to see.

 It has been an interesting season this past Spring, a season that has tested me, challenged me and forced me to always try and find that brightside that I talk about so often...even if it seems like it's got the best hiding spot. I'd like to say thank you to all those who thought of my girls and I while the storms rolled through this time last month. I am overwhelmed by the kindness of my friends here and the comfort from those far away. As I'm sure you can imagine, I've been thinking a lot lately of the future, of a couple months from now when I can finally stop running on fumes and refill my tank with a little bit of lovin' from the guy I love so much. This last month has taught me that life is fragile and that it's way too short to ever take for granted so that being said I'll enjoy when I can and endure when I must. Because there are always things in life to enjoy, however small and no matter the circumstance. Just like a baby's first and a big sister's love, my brightsides are there and I am determined to enjoy them. So here is to SUMMER and the promise of hope it brings for my girls and our family. Go get yourself a watermelon and ENJOY!

Check me out! I'm practically a gymnast...Mom leaves me in one spot and I end up on the other side of the room rolling around.

Future pianist? I think so.

Really Mom?

Summer days on a blanket in the park!
Our very special visitor...Auntie!!!
Mmmmm carrots!!! And I must say...I'm madly in love with the BUMBO!

Sophia to Mom 'Mommy, take her paci out...I want to make her smile!' Ah, the love.

Here's to Sophia and Alessandra's first summer together and the fun that it brings!
Sophia and I's new love...gardening!

My big girl, growing up too fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment